Friday, June 6, 2014

An Ode to Pretty Instinct by S.E. Hall


Today’s Ode goes to SE Hall and her new novel, Pretty Instinct!! Let me just say that SE Hall is one of my favorite authors. If she writes something, I am automatically one-clicking it. She gets better every time she hits publish, and after I’ve finished whatever book of hers I’m reading, I can’t wait for the next one. It’s like I’m an addict when it comes to SE Hall, needing my next fix like a fish needs water. Seriously her books are just that AMAZING!  I didn’t know when I was asked to read Emerge a year ago that I would find an author who is now one of my favorites. 

Synopsis


“If opposites attract, then I am nothing. Because you, you are everything.”
                                          
There’s no easy road traveled to such an intense sentiment, one I never dreamt I’d feel….                                         
   
But I also never planned on Cannon Blackwell climbing aboard my tour bus.

*Blog received ARC in return for an honest review*

Now, on to Pretty Instinct, her latest release. All I can say is WOW! I’m completely blown away by the amazingness that has come out of this book. Not only is the book amazingly well written, but the story is one that will pull at your heart strings. I call books by SE Hall my feel good books. Yes, there is some angst, but they are basically books that make you feel good just to read them. This book is definitely a feel good book. It is about Family and love, pain and forgiveness.

Elizabeth Carmichael hasn’t had it easy, in a short period of time during her teenage years, her brother suffered a traumatic brain injury and her mother passed away, to cope with her trauma, she’s turned into a complete control freak. She runs her band well, but it is always Liz’s way or the highway, which their female bassist finds out early on, when Liz kicks her off the tour bus. This leaves the band short a bassist.

By chance, the band stumbles across Cannon Blackwell at a rest stop. Not only is he smokin’ hot, but he is a very talented musician with a heart of gold. Cannon passes all of Liz’s requirements to be able to get on the tour bus and get close to her brother, Conner. Cannon isn’t without his demons, but there is something about him that pulls to the uptight and closed off Liz. And she calls to him like a siren, his Siren.  
 
The story of Cannon and his Lizzie is beautiful. She reminds me a lot of myself, especially her crunchy outside but soft center. SE Hall has an amazing way of making the reader feel connected to the characters, at least I know I do. That’s one of my favorite things about this book. The characters and the way I feel connected to them. Yes, I love the romance, because Cannon Blackwell is one of a kind and the love he has for Liz is beautiful. I love the witty banter between the two of them, and I love the way music plays a part in this book, but mostly I love the interactions with the characters. And it’s not just Cannon and Lizzie, all of the characters have made an imprint on my heart. Especially Conner, Lizzie’s older brother who survived an unfortunate accident and is now very childlike in his behavior. Conner is innocent and beautiful in his emotions. He was a complete breath of fresh air in this book, and he had some of the best lines.  I honestly feel like I’m just rambling on about this book,  but it is truly amazing. One of the best books I’ve read all year by one of my all-time favorite authors.  This book is a must read by everyone! It’s got rockers, it’s got love, and it will just make you feel good! It made me laugh and it made me shed a few tears, and it is literally one of the best books of the year! So, take a deep breath in for me, now out for you, and dive right in to Pretty Instinct!

Get your copy!



 Excerpt 

I check my phone for the tenth time. It’s almost 2 am, surely they’re asleep and I can sneak to my own bed. Sleeping with Conner isn’t as fun as you might think, unless you think being caged with a wild animal sounds like a party.

As quietly as possible, I slink out of the bed and through his door, pulling it closed; halfway there. Sending up a silent prayer I don’t meet any open, awake eyes, I turn, relieved at the lack of spectators, and scurry to my bed. After sharing my song tonight, I need some time to pass before I look them in the eyes—those lyrics, the tremor in my voice as I sang—I’m not ready for questions or commentary.

“Pssst.”

Of course I didn’t pull off the covert bed switch undetected. This bus—40 x 8 feet—might as well be a shoebox. I draw back the curtain, squinting my eyes against the dimness.

“Hey,” Cannon greets me with a whisper and grin from his bed, curtain also pulled open.

Giving him back the smile I can’t contain, I finger wave. Has he been waiting up for me? Was I secretly hoping he’d still be awake? Do I want to know either answer or what it says about me? What planet am I living on that this is now an issue?

“Here.” He scoots to the edge of his bunk and hands across…an earbud? Eyeing him curiously, I turn on my side, facing his way, and put it in my ear. “Shhh.” He puts a finger over his lips then winks and slips the other bud in his own ear, only breaking eye contact for a split second to tap the phone screen, then reconnecting in the muted light.

“Hello, Lizzie,” his voice sounds in my ear and as my eyes pop in surprise. He once again does the “shhh” thing, nodding to me to just listen. “I thought about playing you ‘You Are So Beautiful,’ but surely you already know that. This, you may not.”

There’s a brief pause, then music starts… It’s “Have a Little Faith in Me.”

I know I whimper aloud, but I force my eyes to stay on his no matter how badly I want to hide them and the building tears. Through the entire song, I stare and he stares back, mouthing the words every once in a while. With the closing notes, his voice returns.

“Not too corny, I hope. Just…think about it. Sweet dreams, Lizzie.”

Apparently picking up on the fact I’ve been rendered incapable of functioning, he reaches over and gently removes the earbud, taps the end of my nose with his fingertip, then closes my curtain for me.

I’ll have the corny with a side of corny please.


SE Hall's Biography


S.E.Hall resides in Arkansas with her husband of 18 years and 4 beautiful daughters. When not in the stands watching her ladies play softball, she enjoys reading and writing. She's also being clutch at Baggo, when it's warm outside!
 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment